[gmx-developers] Check for gromacs library using autotools

Erik Lindahl lindahl at cbr.su.se
Thu Jun 19 23:30:38 CEST 2008

Hi Victor,

Unfortunately not pre-packaged, but what you could do is:

1) Check if libgmx is present with

AC_CHECK_LIB(libgmx,GromacsVersion,,AC_MSG_ERROR([Gromacs library not
found])

2) Search for the headers, e.g.

AC_CHECK_HEADERS([gromacs/copyrite.h])

3) According to the autotools modus operandi you should check
functionality rather than versions, but if you absolutely need it you
could
write a small test script that includes the header copyrite.h and
executes GromacsVersion() to return the version as a string. That
won't work
for cross-compiles, though - then you'd have to use "strings" to
extract strings from the binary and grep for "VERSION".

Cheers,

Erik