[gmx-developers] scaling 1-4 electrostatic interactions separately

David van der Spoel spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se
Sat Mar 8 20:00:19 CET 2008

chris.neale at utoronto.ca wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am wondering why there is a [ pairtypes ] section only for LJ and not
> coulombic. I have been able to trick gromacs into properly combining two
> forcefields that have a different fudgeQQ, but that trick is fairly
> specific:
> http://www.gromacs.org/pipermail/gmx-users/2006-September/023761.html
Without looking things up you could use multiple pair interactions for
each pair, but that will only help if one fudgeQQ_A = n * fudgeQQ_B with
n integer.

> I am in the process of writing up the results of my protein-lipid
> simulations and I am currently trying to decide how to split the paper.
> I would like to split the method plus proof-of-concept section out into
> a simple one page methods letter but in that case I would need to
> convince the reader that the method that I have used is necessary and
> could not easily be replaced by a slight code modification to gromacs.
> In fact this may be the case and is the reason why I am writing to this
> list.
>
> First: is there some important reason why a [ coulombic-pairtypes ]
> section could not exist, or is it just that nobody has dedicated a day
> of coding to make this happen? I figure that PME could make it more
> difficult, but don't really know.
>
> Second: is gromacs 4.x likely to allow users to arbitrarily set
> coulombic 1-4 interactions in the same way that this can be done for LJ
> 1-4 interactions by [ pairtypes ] ?

Section VIII of the gromacs 4 paper desribes very briefly the new
tabulated bonded potentials. It could however be that there is not
something like a Coulomb interaction, that multiplies a function by the
charges (like there is for non-bonded potentials). Maybe Berk can comment.

--
David van der Spoel, Ph.D.