[gmx-developers] Making personal plugin

Jonathan Khao jkhao at ibsm.cnrs-mrs.fr
Thu Mar 13 15:33:35 CET 2008

Anton Feenstra a écrit :
> Anton Feenstra wrote:
>> Mark Abraham wrote:

>>> You haven't explained well enough what you're trying to do... make
>>> an analysis tool or not? If the former, then your testing cycle need
>>> only rebuild the executable + objects + libraries that you're
>>> actually changing, by "make <executable>" in the src/xxx subdirectory.
>>
>> If what you want is extract coordinates in a cylindrical (i.e.,
>> polar?) representation, I don't see that you need to modify trxio at
>> all. It should be sufficient to write a small tool that reads
>> trajectory, calculates cylindrical coordinates, and writes them out.
>> Presumably, this could be done (re-)using one of the existing
>> trajectory formats, since the dimensionality doesn't change. (But you
>> should be careful not to read them as carthesian...) You should also
>> be careful about precision issues, which are non-homogeneous in
>> cylindrical/polar.
>>
>> What you *might* want to add to the gmxlib are two (simple) routines,
>> one that converts carthesian coordinates to cylindrical, and another
>> that does the opposite.
>
> Ah, by the way, in case you need it, some of the basic maths can be
> found in pdbio, where (carthesian) gromacs box (9 matrix elements, or
> three box edge vectors) is converted to crystal unitcell
> representation as used in pdb (three angles and three edge lengths).

Thank you for your responses. Effectively , I haven't been clear on what
we intend to do.  My system is a Protein Detergent Complex, and our goal
is to know how atoms behave are along the faces of an alpha helix. So we
wanted to make a tool that read a Trr file, and converted the
coordinates  as a function of :
        - the position along the axis of the protein ( fitted to the Z
axis )
        - the distance from the axis
        - and an angle
So correct if I'm wrong, as you suggested, the use of gromacs's
functions to read the "trr" trajectory is not worth it, a custom made
tool should therefore be more appropriate ? If so are there any
instructions on how to "decrypt" the "trr"  files ?

I've also been working on an other project for some time. I wanted to
get properties of some molecules (detergents) which are in the vicinity
of my alpha helix.
The properties that I want to get are avaliable using the gromacs tools.
But where I need help, is in the selection of the molecules in the
"vicinity".

I've done verry heavy programming scripts which computes the distances
of each molecules ( degergents ) with the g_mindist , then i read each
of the "xvg" files , got the intervals where it was under the cutoff
value, made sub trajectories, concatenated them and then applyed the
gromacs tools. I suppose there are easy shortcuts to follow , especially
by avoiding the time spending printing and reading parts.
So could you help me by  telling me how i could apply a filter on the
tools ? It would be verry usefull, and would at last help me to dive in
the gromacs source code.

Thank you again

--
Ph.D. Jonathan KHAO