[gmx-developers] Shall we ditch gro and g96 files?

John Chodera jchodera at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 22:42:41 CEST 2008

Gentlemen,

I know I don't chime in very often here, but I wanted to take this
opportunity to say that I very much support the idea of replacing the
limited-precision text-based formats like .gro, .pdb, and .g96 with
more flexible, portable, full-precision file formats.

Berk's suggestions of Espresso sounds very reasonable, but I would
encourage you to instead look at netCDF and HDF5:

netCDF:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/

HDF5:
http://hdf.ncsa.uiuc.edu/HDF5/

Both of these formats provide easy-to-use libraries with APIs that
support nearly every language you could want to use (including C,
Fortran, and Python).  They provide platform-independent, extensible
formats for storing numerical information.  Both provide attribute
support, and HDF5 even allows hierarchical organization of objects,
making it very much like XML but with support for multidimensional
arrays of the same precision as used internally in gromacs.  The
libraries are robust, efficient, and well-supported.

AMBER, for example, has already moved to netCDF for their trajectory
format, though (unfortunately) not yet for their coordinate/restart
files.

http://amber.scripps.edu/netcdf/nctraj.html

Cheers,

John

--
Dr. John D. Chodera <jchodera at gmail.com>      | Mobile    : 415.867.7384
Postdoctoral researcher, Pande lab            | Lab phone : 650.723.1097