[gmx-developers] GROMACS 4.0.1 still broken on Bluegene

David van der Spoel spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se
Sun Nov 9 19:41:14 CET 2008

Axel Kohlmeyer wrote:
> On Sun, 9 Nov 2008, Erik Lindahl wrote:
>
> hi,
>
> just a generic comment about the XLF and GCC-4.x compilers.
> i haven't compiled gmx recently, so i don't know whether
> this applies or not, but a _lot_ of MD and related codes seem
> to get miscompiled these days by both compiler families, due to
> in complete conformance to ANSI-C aliasing issues.
>
> i saw these popping up in the weirdest places recently while
> compiling a lot of software on a new RHEL 5.1(plus patches)
> machine. so for general distribution it may be worth considering
> adding -fno-strict-aliasing to CFLAGS for safety. for XLF there
> is a similar flag (-qansi=none?). for the codes that i was testing
> this made all the difference, particularly when using lookup
> tables etc. ;)

I just followed your advice and neither on my Mac nor on a Centos Linux
5.0 box did I get any warnings. Doubtlessly compilers are getting
better, but they have come from a very low starting quality. We
regularly check compilation in this manner, usually without finding
anything beyond the obvious. A new development is that the GNU C library
has become more picky with memory management. Due to this some problems
in very old code have surfaced (although the code was correct according
to the book...). We try to follow the developments, and are grateful for
tips like this.