[gmx-developers] GROMACS 4.0.1 still broken on Bluegene

Erik Lindahl lindahl at cbr.su.se
Mon Nov 10 00:51:50 CET 2008

On Nov 9, 2008, at 11:01 PM, Roland Schulz wrote:

> I'm not sure. But I think it is little bit different.
>
> Parameters with different types are not allowed to point to the same
> memory.
> Parameters with the same types are allowed to point to the same
> memory.
> Parameters with the same types declared restricted are not allowed
> to point to the same memory.

You're probably right, and that makes it even more safe. We had to
work a bit to fulfill this, in particular in cases where we (for good
reasons, alignment manipulation) need to covert a pointer to a void,
add to it, and then move it back to the pointer type (which the Intel
compiler considered breaking aliasing rules).

Cheers,

Erik