[gmx-developers] More regression test issues

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Mon Aug 10 08:57:26 CEST 2009

Hi,

1) It seems many of the reference runs in the original regression test
module were generated with a pre-release version of 3.3.2, rather than
3.3.2 as suggested by the README. This means some minor differences
occur in the .tpr and mdout.mdp files, so I'm regenerating all of these.

2) simple/rb1 segfaulted in mdrun on my 3.3.2 installation and I could
see that it had "define = -DRYCKAERT -DMOL1" where simple/rb125 had
"-DRYCKAERT -DBONDS", and moreover MOL1 was never used. When I replaced
MOL1 with BONDS, the run appeared to work fine. Can whoever designed
this test (DvdS?) comment, please?

3) In complex tests, comparison of 4.x versions with 3.3.x reference
.edr files does not succeed because the number of terms in the energy
files can change (e.g. introduction of  "Cons.-rmsd-()"). gmxcheck
reports this mismatch, but the original gmxtest.pl did not flag this
case. Presumably since it was written before 4.x, this problem could not
arise. Anyway, subsequent virial checks appear to pass, but no
comparison actually occurs! Accordingly, we either need a robust way to
strip 4.x .edr files back to match 3.3.x reference .edr files, or to
supply both 3.3.x and 4.x reference files for comparison. Assuming the
latter is the most practical course, I plan to use 4.0.5 for the
reference version. Comments?

Also, gmxtest.pl needs to check return values of calls to utilities for
success, rather than assuming it, and I'll implement that.

4) Also when testing 4.x, the mdout.mdp files will differ greatly from
the input .mdp files (which are outputs from 3.3.x grompp). Rather than
pass silently, or warn the user of a non-problem, I propose to check
against the grompp output of a suitable 4.x version. This combines with
my suggested solution to 3) above.

5) Since the Buckingham kernel test references need to be generated with
4.x, they will have the converse problem of 4), as well as certain
failure when testing 3.3.x versions. I've added a note to the output to
tell the user that this is a known bug.

6) What's the best way to me to get my fixed version of this package
into the git tree for distribution and further testing?