[gmx-developers] Missing things in copy_QMrec?

Gerrit Groenhof ggroenh at gwdg.de
Fri Dec 11 10:24:12 CET 2009

So, the idea was  to use the geometry optimization routines of the QM program. To model the environment explicity in these optimization, I included the MM atoms that have carge and/or LJ interactions. The coordinates, LJ parameters and charges are passed on the gaussian. Gaussian then performes the optimization. For simple systems this seems to work, although, as expected I get a different structure if I take a different snapshot from the MD. My naive idea was that I could do an MM simulation, takes snapshots and perform a transition state optimization. By averaging the height of the barrier over all MM snapshots, I though I could learn somethign about the effect of the environment.

However, in more complex systems, such as an enzyme, the optimization almost never converged, which I think is due to the too-strong LJ repulsion near the QM/MM interface.

Does this answer the question?

Gerri