[gmx-developers] Re: Velocity verlet option in Gromacs with trotter-decomposition NPT

Michael Shirts michael.shirts at virginia.edu
Sun Dec 20 05:57:18 CET 2009

In the version checked in last night, the Nose-Hoover chains had a
fixed length defined at compile time.  Now, the number of particles in
the Nose-Hoover chain can be set in the mdp file, using the keyword
"nhchains".  The default is currently 5, but can be changed by a
#define in include/types/state.h

I noticed a slight problem with the first frame of the checkpoint file
for velocity verlet -- the trajectory was correct, but the pressure
and virial in the first frame after a restart was incorrect.

Also, because the output for Nose-Hoover chains can be significant if
a large number are selected, the positions and velocities of the
chains will now only be written to the edr file if
GMX_NOSEHOOVER_CHAINS is defined in the environment.