[gmx-developers] Question about MM point charges in QM/MM calculation

Berk Hess hessb at mpip-mainz.mpg.de
Tue Feb 3 15:11:49 CET 2009

But I was trying to say that with PBC it does not make sense to use all
MM charges.
Since your system is periodic all charges are periodically repeated in
all directions.
To do this correctly you would need infinitely many charges.
You could use the minimum image convention, but then you will have a
rectangular brick
of MM charges. When a charge on the boundary moves slightly, it will
suddenly jump
to the other side.

I would suggest to simply use a cut-off of nearly half the smallest box
size.
Then you will have a nearly spherical group of charges.

Berk