[gmx-developers] free energy code dgdl determination

Chris Neale chris.neale at utoronto.ca
Tue Feb 10 22:02:59 CET 2009

Hello,

when the free energy code is turned on, mdrun "writes the derivative of
the Hamiltonian with respect to lambda to the energy file and to
dgdl.xvg." (quoting manual 4.0).

Is this derivative calculated analytically or is it calculated by
recalculating the energy using a sufficiently small dl in a discrete
tangent approximation? If this approximation is used, what is the dl
value used?

Also, I am unclear about the way that this is computed for the pull
code. In do_pull_pot() from mdlib/pull.c, dVdl appears to be calculated as:

*dVdl        += 0.5*dkdl*dsqr(dev[0]);

which seems strange to me because dkdl is just the difference between
the A and B states:

dkdl = pgrp->kB - pgrp->k;

And I would have thought (A) that lambda would have been in here
somewhere, and also (B) that one would want to calculate dVdl using a
smaller value of dkdl, otherwise the trapezoid integration method might
not be applicable post run.

Thank you,
Chris.