[gmx-developers] request for trjconv -pbc pull_pbcatom

chris.neale at utoronto.ca chris.neale at utoronto.ca
Fri Feb 20 21:50:52 CET 2009

Hello,

When applying the pull code and pulling something toward the center of
mass of an aggregate of highly dynamic molecules (e.g. detergent
micelle), the pull_pbcatom0 selection can be quite important, and yet
it is not necessarily obvious if the box is sufficiently large, even
for a smart selection of pull_pbcatom0. One could obviously just make
the box larger, but it would be nice to avoid that.

As an alternative, it would be nice to have an option to trjconv that
functions exactly as the new pull code and outputs the periodic image
of each atom that is closest to the selected pull_pbcatom. One could
then view a long-time trajectory and empirically determine if the box
is big enough for the study to be undertaken, or, more likely, run
g_dist over all pairs and automate anomaly detection.

I suspect that g_principal could be utilized here to determine cases
in which the box is much too small, but I can't think of a tool that
will detect small and infrequent problems.

It is also unclear if the px or pf .xvg files from the pull code could
be used to detect such problems, but I think that these would not
catch the cases in which only a few atoms were put in the "wrong"
image for COM determination.

Thanks,
Chris.