[gmx-developers] grompp .mdp processing

David van der Spoel spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se
Mon Feb 23 10:11:25 CET 2009

> Perhaps just adding some syntax to enforce related settings would make
> the structure clearer:
>
> free_energy
> {
>     on = true
>     init_lambda = 0.1
>     delta_lambda = 0
>     soft-core
>     {
>         power = 1
>         alpha = 0.5
>         sigma = 0.3
>     }
> }
>
> or, if no free energy calculation is required:
>
> free_energy
> {
>     on = false
> }
>
> or no free energy section at all.

I think it would be good to sit down and contemplate what it is that we
have and what it is that we need. The needs for power users are
different than those of the "casual" users. Power users can be expected
to know what they are doing (famous last words...), while casual users
should be helped to avoid error as much as possible. The current mdp
file format is simple and gives reasonable defaults in most cases
(except Coulomb = Cut-off, but changing the default value is also
problematic).

Over the last years we have discussed moving away from the current
structure of gromacs, possibly using C++, or at least by using abstract
data types in C, which are appearing in the code more and more now (see
src/kernel/gmxcpp.h for an example). Abstract data types allow for a
more clear separation of code and data, which is crucial for error
checking and maintainability.

Although Mark has a point that xml files can be complex, this does not
need to be a problem if we provide an API (in different languages, but
at least C, Perl) for editing the files that provides complete coverage
of all the options. Think something like:

/* This routine sets the parameters for electrostatics calculations.
Returns 1 if succesfull or 0 if an error ocurred */

extern int gmx_inputrec_set_electrostatics_algorithm(gmx_inputrec_t
ir,char *algorithm,double rlist,double,rcoulomb,double rcoul_switch);

extern int gmx_inputrec_set_integrator(gmx_inputrec_t ir,char *integrator);

Both error checking and storing the data will be done inside the
gmx_inputrec  library. A similar library can be made in Perl or Python.

For casual users we should provide a graphical editor (we are working
with the Bioclipse people here in Uppsala to try to make a good GROMACS
plugin for Bioclipse, I have a programmer working on this). Power users
can use their preferred scripting language.

Finally, it has been a design decision not to have scripting
capabilities in GROMACS, but rather let the user decide which scripting
language to use. Although the proposal to use CPP within mdp files does
not represent a big deviation from this, I would really like to have a
more long-term perspective when making changes to the input files. In
theory we could even support multiple mdp file formats, but that quickly
becomes unmaintainable as well.