[gmx-developers] Future developments

David van der Spoel spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se
Tue Feb 24 14:58:38 CET 2009

Erik Lindahl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Feb 24, 2009, at 1:35 PM, David van der Spoel wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> yesterday I put a question on the developer list on where to put a new
>> mini-library for statistics. Right now it is used only from the
>> analysis tools but it might also be used from other parts of the code.
>> Hence I suggested placement in gmxlib, or even directly in src. If no
>> one object I will do this later today.
>>
>> More in general, we should decide on the future structure of the
>> source tree, do we want a src directory with dozens of subdirectories,
>> or should it be hierarchical. Do we move to one library or do we keep
>> four different ones?
> Long-term I'd say we want one library, but with proper namespaces :-)

What does that mean in C?

>> We should also document code recommendations. For instance, Berk
>> stated in another mail recently that we moved to the 4 space
>> indentation etc. We should put this information on the wiki, for
>> everyone (including me) to read.
It would be nice to have the recommendations on the wiki anyway. Should
it indeed be the layout as in domdec.c? In that case I will add it,
including a description of abstract code.

Since some of us are writing new code even for 4.1, it would be nice to
start using the new rules anyway (I haven't so far).