[gmx-developers] Future developments

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Tue Feb 24 15:32:56 CET 2009

David van der Spoel wrote:
> Erik Lindahl wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Feb 24, 2009, at 1:35 PM, David van der Spoel wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> yesterday I put a question on the developer list on where to put a
>>> new mini-library for statistics. Right now it is used only from the
>>> analysis tools but it might also be used from other parts of the
>>> code. Hence I suggested placement in gmxlib, or even directly in src.
>>> If no one object I will do this later today.
>>>
>>> More in general, we should decide on the future structure of the
>>> source tree, do we want a src directory with dozens of
>>> subdirectories, or should it be hierarchical. Do we move to one
>>> library or do we keep four different ones?
>> Long-term I'd say we want one library, but with proper namespaces :-)
>
> What does that mean in C?

Nothing good :-)

You can simulate it by requiring prefixes to function and/or variable
names, so kernel__mdrunner(), but you need some convention to keep clear
what bit is the namespace name and what is the function name.

You can also declare a struct full of pointers to functions which are
only defined statically, so that you'd have to call kernel.mdrunner().
The kernel function arrays are essentially doing this already :-) The
approach comes with the upside of being partially object-oriented.