[gmx-developers] blowing up

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Wed Feb 25 08:43:06 CET 2009

Hi,

It's been clear to me for years now, that the actually-quite-helpful
GROMACS diagnostic messages after algorithms die are next to useless in
the hands of a beginner. They don't have the maturity/judgement to
realise that an error message like "This usually means your system is
exploding, if not, you should increase table-extension in your mdp file
or with user tables increase the table size" actually applies to them.
We're seeing scores of people using GROMACS, largely from Asian
countries, apparently without someone else in the lab to consult on such
issues. The day of master-apprentice learning of computational chemistry
seems to be behind us.

We have an Errors page on the wiki, with at least stubs discussing how
and why such errors arise, linking back and forth to the kind of
information people will want next. I'm all for not making "permanent"
hyperlinks to transient destinations, however this strikes me as an
exception. Can we consider embedding
http://wiki.gromacs.org/index.php/Errors into these messages?