[gmx-developers] rcoulomb, rlist

David Mobley dmobley at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 19:11:52 CET 2009

Berk,

> As far as I know, rcoulomb < rlist with PME will only change the Ewald beta
> and nothing else.

It seems surprising that this would do so much here. Perhaps there is
a way to test this -- if I remember correctly beta is also controlled
by ewald-rtol, so I could mimic the effects of altering rcoulomb from
0.9 to 1.0 by changing the relative tolerance?

> We have had long mail discussions (including you in the cc?)
> in which I explain why we can not have rcoulomb < rlist with PME.
> The reason is that Gromacs uses spline interpolated tables without if
> statements,
> therefore we can not have abrupt cut-off's (which would give (near-)infinite
> forces).
> I don't know how other packages solve this. I guess just by using a
> if-statement,
> which would mean you have a jump in the energy and the energy is no longer
> the integral of the force.

Yes, I was in on those discussions, but needed something like this to
refresh my memory.

> But your free energy difference seem to indicate a larger error than a small
> change in beta can explain.
> There was a bug with PME and free energy in pre 3.3.3 versions for atoms
> with qA=0, qB!=0,
> which I fixed for 3.3.3.
> Could this be what you are seeing?

I don't believe so, for the following reasons:
1) qA and qB are both zero for the atoms in acetamide for this calculation.
2)

> That is the only bug in pre 3.3.3 version I know of.
> I got perfect agreement with Michael Shirst results and also with RF results
> and GROMOS package results with RF.

Yes. In fact in this case we disagree with Shirts' value for acetamide
(and more so with rcoulomb=rlist than with rcoulomb<rlist), which is
one of the things that concerns us. I hand-checked our FFAMBER
tip4p-ew implementation and it is OK, and it does give the correct
density, so we're very perplexed here.

Also, for what it's worth, our TIP3P results for acetamide are in
agreement with yours and Michael's and don't appear to exhibit this
large dependence on rcoulomb, which makes matters even more
perplexing. Is there anything water-model-specific in the PME code?

Thanks,
David