[gmx-developers] Turning off optimization

Erik Lindahl lindahl at cbr.su.se
Wed Jul 1 10:42:46 CEST 2009

On Jul 1, 2009, at 10:38 AM, David van der Spoel wrote:

>> If your code doesn't compile with -O2, I would definitely say you
>> need debugging ;-)
> Debugging the compiler, indeed. It is just few thousand lines like
> x = a + b -c and so on (note a few thousand lines in one expression).
> Compiler goes out of memory and/or plain crashes with a SEGV trying
> to optimize that.

ISO C99 is only required to logical source line lengths of 4096
characters (For C89 it's only 509!), so if it's a single expression
it's indeed a code bug :-)

Cheers,

Erik

Erik Lindahl   <lindahl at cbr.su.se>  Backup: <erik.lindahl at gmail.com>
Associate Professor, Computational Structural Biology
Center for Biomembrane Research, Dept. Biochemistry & Biophysics
Stockholm University, SE-106 91 Stockholm, Sweden
Tel: +46(0)8164675  Mobile: +46(0)703844534  Fax: mail a PDF instead