[gmx-developers] DCD / Licence

Axel Kohlmeyer akohlmey at cmm.chem.upenn.edu
Fri Jul 3 19:12:54 CEST 2009

On Fri, 2009-07-03 at 12:58 -0400, Roland Schulz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using the VMD DCD reader.

that is what i thought.

> Using the VMD plugin API would add 3 addiotional source files (hash.c,
> molfile_plugin.h, vmdplugin.h).

> Does this matter? Should I do this so that we can easily add further
> vmd supported types in the future?

if you use the molfile API, you automatically add _all_ formats
that the molfile plugins support. that would include for example
native formats of LAMMPS, desmond, amber, amber/netcdf on top
of .dcd without any extra coding effort from you.

i'm not sure why you'd need hash.c. for writing an interface to
the plugin API you should only need files from the include directory.
i'd suggest you start from the latest (cvs) code, as VMD-1.8.7 is about
to be released very, very soon and that would require vmdplugin.h,
molfile_plugin.h and vmdconio.h.

there have been some significant improvements. for example, the improved
plugin API has support for reading angle, dihedral, improper
definitions, or velocities (for file formats that support it).

the main advantage is that you don't have to maintain the .dcd
(or others format) readers yourself and keep it in sync with
the VMD/molfile code base. there is already too much code
replication already. for VMD i'm planning to adjust the gromacs
support to use libxdrfile from the gromacs distribution, for example.

cheers,
   axel.