[gmx-developers] Fwd: fixed "3.3.3"?

David Mobley dmobley at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 15:53:11 CEST 2009

Xavier,

> Why don't you use your own version? It is often that we do this!
> Changes
> do not make it always into the "official" version and especially if
> they are
> in development.

Right, the supercomputing folks are reluctant to do a system-wide
install of an unofficial release, especially when the patch isn't even
"official".

> You can also install your own modified version on a super-computer! If
> there are special compilation issues, you can ask the administrator to
> provide the script they used to install the "official" version. I've
> done this
> a few times, they were always happy to help.

Right, I've installed in my own directory. The problem is just that
(a) a bunch of people outside my own group will be using it, so either
I need them all to use my copy or I need a system-wide install, and
(b) disk quotas are very restrictive on home directories at this
facility so I'm using most of my quota just for locally installed
software!

> For publication you can state that you use the gmx-3.3.X version where
> this and that have been implemented. It should not be a problem.

That's what I've done in the past. THe problem here is just that I'm
having trouble getting them to do a systemwide install of what they
call my "customized version".

Thanks.