[gmx-developers] unidirectional neighbor list

Maik Nijhuis mnijhuis at virtualproteins.com
Thu Mar 12 10:36:13 CET 2009

Dear Gromacs developers,

Regarding the neighbor lists for the non-bonded interactions I have a
question. I understood the neighbor lists are currently constructed
based on bidirectional, pair-wise interactions: A particle pair only
occurs once in the list, and the forces for both particles are updated
when the non-bonded kernel computes the interaction.

I am interested if Gromacs has an option for generating unidirectional
neighbor lists, which contains all neighbors for each atom, instead of
all neighbor pairs. All atoms then occur as i atom in the list, and due
to periodic boundary conditions they may occur multiple times. All
particle pairs thus occur twice: once as (i,j), once as (j, i).

Does anybody know if it is currently possible to generate the neighbor
lists this way?

Maik Nijhuis
--
mnijhuis at virtualproteins.com || http://www.cs.vu.nl/~maik