[gmx-developers] distance_restraints and domain decomposition

andrea spitaleri spitaleri.andrea at hsr.it
Wed Mar 18 14:28:05 CET 2009

Hi there,
I am facing a problem with the domain decomposition and distance_restraints. My system is a protein
with Zn ions and in order to keep the ion in the right position, i use distance_restraints in my
topology:

[distance_restraints]
;ai aj type index type' low up1 up2 fac

613  98 1   0   1   0.18 0.30 0.35 5
613 119 1   0   1   0.18 0.30 0.35 5
613 274 1   0   1   0.18 0.30 0.35 5
613 300 1   0   1   0.18 0.30 0.35 5
614 479 1   1   1   0.18 0.30 0.35 5
614 219 1   1   1   0.18 0.30 0.35 5
614 198 1   1   1   0.18 0.30 0.35 5
614 450 1   1   1   0.18 0.30 0.35 5

Now, the run goes fine using one single cpu but as soon I ask for a parallel run I get this error:

Initializing the distance restraints
NOTE: atoms involved in distance restraints should be within the longest cut-off distance, if this
is not the case mdrun generates a fatal error, in that case use particle decomposition (mdrun option
-pd)

Program mdrun, VERSION 4.0.3
Source code file: disre.c, line: 135

Fatal error:
Time or ensemble averaged or multiple pair distance restraints do not work (yet) with domain
decomposition, use particle decomposition (mdrun option -pd)

If I use -pd option, the run goes fine but dramatically slowly (days instead of hour).

My distances are all below the cut-off (~ 0.21).
I found only one post (http://www.gromacs.org/pipermail/gmx-users/2008-December/038507.html) with
probably a bugzilla submission suggestion but I could not find any answer to it.

Any help?

Thanks in advance for your help

Regards

andrea

--
Andrea Spitaleri PhD

La tua mano puo' lasciare un segno importante.
Dona il tuo 5 per mille al San Raffaele di Milano.

E' SEMPLICE E NON COSTA NULLA.
Basta indicare nell'apposito riquadro della dichiarazione dei redditi "Finanziamento della ricerca sanitaria"
il codice fiscale della Fondazione Centro S. Raffaele del Monte Tabor:
03 06 42 80 153 e ricordarsi di firmare.
Per saperne di piu':  5permille at hsr.it o vai sul sito  http://www.5xmille.org.