[gmx-developers] Question about the QM/MM methods

Gerrit Groenhof ggroenh at gwdg.de
Fri Nov 13 08:39:33 CET 2009

Hi,

The gamess-uk interface is based on the 6.x version of Gamess-UK. It
worked via function calls from a linked games-uk library.

Huub van Dam has been working on a new interface, based on file
communication. The gaussian interface works like that as well.I was not
aware there were problems.

>From you emails I infer you have difficulties with the way the
information is passed on between the mdp file and the qm routines.

I have hard coded the possibilities for basissets and methods. The
problem being that basisset specification was different in different
programs. Thus now the user's input has to be recognized, stored as an
integer (enum) and then used to create the correct input for a QM routine.

For writing an interface, I would look at the gaussian.c, focus only on
the write_gaussian_input, read_gaussian_output, can call_gaussian, whcih
are used for 'normal' qmmm calculations.

Hope it helps,

Gerrit