[gmx-developers] center of mass bug with pulling reference group

Jochen Hub jochen at xray.bmc.uu.se
Mon Apr 26 17:14:18 CEST 2010

Berk Hess wrote:
> Jochen Hub wrote:
>
>> Berk Hess wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>

>> Hi Bert,
>>
>> thanks for the quick reply.
>>

>>> Why are you using position and not distance (both should work though)?
>>>

>> Because I need to distinguish between above and below the membrane,
>> whereas "distance" does not. But with "distance" we get the same wrong
>> output, I just checked.
>> Pull group  natoms  pbc atom  distance at start     reference at t=0
>>       0      5896      2948
>>       1         4      5898   2.326                 2.920
>> Here, distance and reference should be close to each other (according
>> to g_traj -com).
>>
> Sorry, direction is what you probably want.

Hm, actually I have used "position" quite often it it gave the same
result compared to using position restraints as umbrella potentials, so
it seems fine. Is it possible that using position with "pull_dim=N N Y"
is the same as direction with "pull_vec1=0 0 1"?

> Can you try if that also gives problems?

I have tried, one gets with
pull_geometry            = direction
pull_dim                 = N N Y
pull_vec1                = 0.0 0.0 1.0
pull_init1               = -2.91975

Pull group  natoms  pbc atom  distance at start     reference at t=0
       0      5896      2948
       1         4      5898  -2.326                -2.920
which is again wrong (and the negative to the "distance" output, as
expected). The correct distance in z-direction is (this time from
g_dist) -2.9742942, not -2.326.

Jochen

> Berk
>
>>> Do your pull group and reference group have atoms in common?
>>>

>> No, no common atoms.
>>

>>> BTW 4.0.7 is the version to use for pulling, but I think there are no
>>> fixes
>>> related to your situation.
>>>

>> With 407 we get the same output from grompp.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Jochen
>>

>>> Berk

Dr. Jochen Hub
Molecular Biophysics group
Dept. of Cell & Molecular Biology
Uppsala University. Box 596, 75124 Uppsala, Sweden.
Phone: +46-18-4714451 Fax: +46-18-511755