[gmx-developers] center of mass bug with pulling reference group

Jochen Hub jochen at xray.bmc.uu.se
Tue Apr 27 10:23:37 CEST 2010

>>> Can you try if that also gives problems?
>>>

>> I have tried, one gets with
>> pull_geometry            = direction
>> pull_dim                 = N N Y
>> pull_vec1                = 0.0 0.0 1.0
>> pull_init1               = -2.91975
>>
>> Pull group  natoms  pbc atom  distance at start     reference at t=0
>>       0      5896      2948
>>       1         4      5898  -2.326                -2.920
>> which is again wrong (and the negative to the "distance" output, as
>> expected). The correct distance in z-direction is (this time from
>> g_dist) -2.9742942, not -2.326.
>>

> Ah, couldn't the problem simply be a pbc issue?
> What is your z box size?
> And it your pull pbc reference atom set properly?

Ah, good point. The box in z-direction is however definitely large
enough. None of the atoms of the reference group atoms is outside the
box in z-direction. I have a bilayer well in the middle of the box in
z-direction.

However, the pbc atom is sometimes out of the box in x-direction since
the the initial structure contains non-broken lipids which sometimes
point out of the box (in the x-y plance). This is definitely the
problem. When using a pbc_atom in the middle of the bilayer everything
goes fine. Using a pdb with atoms inside the box does however not help,
apparently the pull code used non-broken molecule coordinates.

So we found the issue (thanks for that!), but is that the expected
behavior? I would expect that, if I only pull in z-direction, a pbc_atom
out of the box in x-y should not affect the reference position. Or am I
wrong here?

Thanks a lot Berk,

Jochen

> Berk
>

>> Jochen
>>

>>> Berk

Dr. Jochen Hub
Molecular Biophysics group
Dept. of Cell & Molecular Biology
Uppsala University. Box 596, 75124 Uppsala, Sweden.
Phone: +46-18-4714451 Fax: +46-18-511755