[gmx-developers] dup_tfn in src/kernel/runner.c

Sander Pronk pronk at cbr.su.se
Tue Aug 3 09:07:45 CEST 2010

Hi Mark,

Actually, the two copies are needed: the first one copies the tfn to a static intermediate, so that the main thread can go on in mdrunner(). The second copy happens for each thread and copies this static intermediate for each spawned thread's own use.

If the first copy wouldn't be made, the main thread, which continues as soon as other threads are spawned, would change data in the tfn while other threads were copying it. This actually lead to crashes and it took me some time to recognize at the time.

I'll add some comments in the relevant code with my next commit.

Sander