[gmx-developers] Git master broken

Mark Abraham mark.abraham at anu.edu.au
Wed Aug 25 16:45:19 CEST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: David van der Spoel <spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se>
Date: Wednesday, August 25, 2010 23:58
Subject: [gmx-developers] Git master broken
To: Discussion list for GROMACS development <gmx-developers at gromacs.org>

> Hi,
>
> it seems that git master is broken. Try the following:
>
> mkdir koko
> cd koko/
> git clone git at git.gromacs.org:gromacs
> git checkout -t origin/release-4-5-patches
> git merge release-4-5-patches

That just worked fine for me.

I get your symptoms if I do "git checkout master" before the merge, whether or not I checkout release-4-5-patches.

Christoph Jungan's merge commit on master dated Monday (5e3473a12) is not a simple merge commit (see git log -p). I'm not sure how he managed to do what he did, but I guess he started a merge from some not-quite-right starting point, had conflicts, didn't realise he'd not commited the merge result, did his edit, then committed.

To fix, someone will have to manually resolve the conflicts.

Mark