[gmx-developers] Git master broken

Christoph Junghans junghans at mpip-mainz.mpg.de
Wed Aug 25 17:48:34 CEST 2010

Hi,

the merge was not 100% trivial, there were two simple conflicts
due to a define renaming in include/vec.h and a argument change in
split of include/string2.h, which only happened in the master branch.
That is why I committed it with the standard commit message.

I just did the merge, because the master branch missed a header of some
kernel, which was fixed in 4.5 branch. After the merge I did a build
check and it worked, so this was not a build break.

Concerning the current merge policy:
I think the problem by now is that the main work happens on the 4.5
branch and this has to be merged into the master branch immediately.
Otherwise the first one, who wants to merge something in the master
branch, in the above case me, has to decide about all the 4.5 changes of
all the other developers. At the current point of development this is
not a big deal, because master and 4.5 are not very different.

However, what still puzzles me is the origin of the conflicts in the
case of David's merge. For human eyes most of them look trivial, but git
doesn't get it.

Cheers,

Christoph

--
Dipl.-Phys. Christoph Junghans
Max Planck Institute for Polymer Research

Phone: +49 6131 379 335
Web: http://www.mpip-mainz.mpg.de/~junghans