[gmx-developers] Fwd: Re: using replace/delete syntax of termini database for specbond

Roland Schulz roland at utk.edu
Thu Aug 26 08:13:14 CEST 2010

One additional thing would need to be changed for my proposal to work for
polymers with different linkages.

If I'm not mistaken, specbond is currently applied the following way:

As an example consider a residue X which has two linkages and thus 2 rules
apply. Let's assume the first rule would rename X to X1 and the 2nd rule
would rename X to XA. Even if the first rule is applied before the 2nd rule
then the 2nd rule still has to refer to X/X1 as X and not X1. Thus columns 1
and 4 always refer to the residue with its originally name given in the pdb
file and not by its new name given by a prior rule.

This behavior makes it impossible to rename a residue consecutive based on
two rules. Being able to rename in two steps would allow to use specbonds in
cases like lignin with different possible linkages. One could use one
specbond rule to rename X to X1 or X2 depending of the preceding linkage "1"
or "2" in the chain and then to X1A, X1B, X2A or X2B depending on the
following linkage A or B.

Thus we would need to either:
- Change the behavior that specbond uses the prior renamed residue name for
a following rule for columns 1-4, or
- Have additional columns which would allow to specify the name of a residue
based on the prior changed name of an earlier rule

 Roland