[gmx-developers] Git master broken

Roland Schulz roland at utk.edu
Thu Aug 26 09:44:25 CEST 2010

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 3:13 AM, Mark Abraham <mark.abraham at anu.edu.au>wrote:

> git rebase is an extremely good tool for all many of interesting things
> (editing local commit history, squashing and expanding commits)

Yes. I agree. And I usually also use rebase as the policy for pull (git pull
--rebase). This gets rid of all the unnecessary merge commit messages.   But
it is always important to remember to never rebase commits which have been
pushed up before (by oneself or someone else). You imply that by writing
"local commit history" but I thought it is important to mention when
recommending rebase. Using rebase on published (pushed) commits makes it
very difficult for everyone.

Roland

865-241-1537, ORNL PO BOX 2008 MS6309