[gmx-developers] template.c does not compile due to types/trx.h

Teemu Murtola teemu.murtola at cbr.su.se
Fri Aug 27 14:04:06 CEST 2010

David van der Spoel <spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se> wrote:
> If I install from scratch, I remove all sorc and build dirs:
>
> (cd ..; ./bootstrap)
> rm -rf man src share include libtool admin config.* Makefile Doxyfile
> scripts
> $HOME/GG/gromacs/configure --prefix=$DEST --enable-threads --with-x
> --x-includes=/usr/X11R6/include/X11 --x-libraries=/usr/X11R6/lib
>
> make CFLAGS+=-g install
>
> Then I get the error. Now interestingly, if I type make install once more,
> it compiles and installs fine.
>
> It also works if I do
>
> make
>
> without install first.

I still can't reproduce this error. If I remove the build directory
completely, and then do configure and "make install" into a temporary
directory, it still works. All installation instructions also say that
you should first do make, followed by make install, although I can't
figure out why a plain "make install" does not work in your case. But
if "make; make install" works for you as well, I think that disabling
the whole template from compilation is a far too drastic measure.
Because if it is not compiled (as was the case until quite recently),
it easily gets out of date with respect to the rest of the code, and
takes much more effort to fix when you no longer know which commit
broke it.

Teemu