[gmx-developers] Fluctuations printed by mdrun

Anton Feenstra feenstra at few.vu.nl
Wed Dec 8 15:33:31 CET 2010

On 07/12/10 23:09, Justin A. Lemkul wrote:

> Christian Mötzing wrote:
>>
>> The reason why I am asking is that our results did not turn out as I
>> expected. I simulated the waterbox with stepsize (dt) going from 0.00025
>> to 0.004. I was told that the fluctuation should go up with growing
>> stepsize. But it does not. It stays perfectly constant.
>>

> Fluctuations are dependent upon the input .mdp settings. I suppose that
> if you use accurate methods for nonbonded interactions and (especially)
> contraints for bonds, then I don't see how the fluctuations should
> inherently go up with the step size.

They will, as the stepsize determines the accuracy of the numeric
integration (of Newtons equations of motion). But 4 fs step (0.004ps)
for a waterbox is already very accurate, and you need a few tricks to
actually see increased accuracy at smaller timesteps. I've explored this
a while ago in J. Comput. Chem. 20 (8), pp 786-798, 1999 (link below).

I used shifted potentials for Coulomb and Lennard-Jones interactions to
eliminate 'cut-off' noise. I'm not sure if (accurate) Ewald long-range
would do the job well enough. Also, you need double precision; IIRC, at
single precision the average energy drift over 10 short simulations
(which is a reasonable proxy to fluctuations) already levels out
somewhere between 5 and 6 fs timestep. As Fig 2 in my ref shows, with
shifted potentials and double precision you see the drift going down up
to .5fs timestep.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/(SICI)1096-987X(199906)20:8%3C786::AID-JCC5%3E3.0.CO;2-B/abstract

--
Groetjes,

Anton
| / \ / \'| | | IBIVU/Bioinformatics - Free University  Amsterdam     |
|(   |   )| | | De Boelelaan 1083A - 1081 HV Amsterdam - Netherlands  |
| \_/ \_/ | | | Tel +31 20 59 87783 - Fax +31 20 59 87653 - Room P136 |
|             | Feenstra at few.vu.nl - www.few.vu.nl/~feenstra/         |
|             | "Confirmed" (Star Trek)                               |