[gmx-developers] threads are now ON by default

Sander Pronk pronk at cbr.su.se
Fri Feb 12 18:20:27 CET 2010

Thanks,

Those rumors are in fact true; according to Berk there's a significant speedup when using 8 threads on a Core i7 - I just wrote Ncores because I didn't know of a good word for 'hardware point of execution on a cpu'.

As an aside, to test performance on a Core i7 without needing to turn hyperthreading on or off in BIOS, it's best to use taskset (in Linux); use

taskset 0x0f mdrun -nt 4

to run 4 threads on 4 different physical cores, and just use

mdrun -nt 8
or
taskset 0xff mdrun -nt 8

to run 8 threads on all the HT-enabled cores (or 'hardware points of execution').

Sander