[gmx-developers] Possible Cryo-em Contribution

Berk Hess hess at cbr.su.se
Tue Feb 16 16:28:33 CET 2010

Hi,

Such contributions are very welcome.
This sounds like a tool that is very useful to a relatively small amount
of people.

The problem is that Gromacs is currently not easily extensible.
Adding a method, such as the one you describe, requires changes in many
places in the code as well as changes to quite rigid file formats.
This also means that any functionality has to be maintained actively.
We would prefer the core Gromacs functionality to be relatively small
and efficient
and allow extensive functionality through modules.
We are planning (already for a long time, but now something is finally
happening)
to made the Gromacs code and file formats more modular.

I the mean time you could upload a package with additional files
and diff's to present files (or simply a complete source tree)
to the Gromacs website.

Berk