[gmx-developers] remove periodicity

Anton Feenstra feenstra at few.vu.nl
Mon Jul 5 14:25:48 CEST 2010

On 02/07/10 23:24, Gaurav Goel wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 3:20 AM, Anton Feenstra<feenstra at few.vu.nl>  wrote:
>> On 01/07/10 22:22, Gaurav Goel wrote:
>>>
>>> If I know the coordinates at time 't-del_t' and 't', I can remove the
>>> periodicity as follows:
>>>    /* Remove periodicity */
>>>
>>>        while(xcur[ind][m]-xprev[ind][m]<= -hbox[m])
>>>         rvec_inc(xcur[ind],box[m]);
>>>        while(xcur[ind][m]-xprev[ind][m]>     hbox[m])
>>>         rvec_dec(xcur[ind],box[m]);
>>
>> What do you mean with 'remove periodicity'? Make molecules whole? Put all
>> atoms in the box? Put all molecules' center of mass in the box? Give all
>> atoms (or molecules) a continuous trajectory (i.e., they will fly 'out of
>> the box')?
>>
>> There are a number of PBC related options in trjconv that might include what
>> you want. If you want to use that in a program of you own, I suggest copying
>> over the routine(s) from trjconv.
>>

> Thanks for your reply Anton. I need to modify the md
> algorithm...basically scale the velocities of atoms up or down in two
> slabs at a fixed distance from the face of the box. By "remove
> periodicity" I meant to put all atoms in the box.

Just a not of caution, if you are going to modify the md code, do *not*
use code from trjconv. The latter is meant for analysis, and uses some
constructions that should not be used during simulation (md or otherwise).

> I will take a further look at the md algorithm and try to locate where
> in the code coordinates are generated corresponding to 'atoms in the
> box' state. I am not able to understand why atoms need to be put in
> the box to calculate non-bonded interactions? Isn't it right that for
> non-bonded interactions we need the closest periodic image.

This is not my main expertise, but AFAIK the non-bonded interaction code
and the related neigbour-search code optimizes best with all atoms in
the box.

--
Groetjes,

Anton
| / \ / \'| | | IBIVU/Bioinformatics - Free University  Amsterdam     |
|(   |   )| | | De Boelelaan 1083A - 1081 HV Amsterdam - Netherlands  |
| \_/ \_/ | | | Tel +31 20 59 87783 - Fax +31 20 59 87653 - Room P136 |
|             | Feenstra at few.vu.nl - www.few.vu.nl/~feenstra/         |
|             | "Just a Minute While I Reinvent Myself" (Red Hot      |
|             | Chili Peppers)                                        |