[gmx-developers] thread cannibalism

David van der Spoel spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se
Wed Jul 7 12:18:27 CEST 2010

Hi,

I'm now enjoying the automatic thread parallellization which works
wonders on my Mac Pro with eight cores, and I assume on other multi-core
boxes too.

Is there an option to limit the number of threads per node for mdrun?

I'm asking because we are using a queue system where we allow multiple
independent (single core) jobs per node. If each of these were to start
4 or 8 cores the overall efficiency would be lower, but if the other
jobs are not mdrun it might mean that these get pushed away.

Note that the same could happen with other programs, e.g. Gaussian uses
shared memory as well.

Is there any solution other than disallowing multiple jobs per node?

Box 596, 75124 Uppsala, Sweden. Phone:	+46184714205.