[gmx-developers] CFLAGS for ppc, etc. with CMake

Roland Schulz roland at utk.edu
Thu Jul 8 06:06:34 CEST 2010

Hi,

the CFLAGS are set correctly to -fastsse for PGI.

But while testing this I found a few problems with cmake (I haven't used it
for a while - usually use automake).
All not critical since automake is still available as alternative. Just
writing this here to report what I find less convenient than with automake
and what probably should be improved before automake is removed.

It doesn't automatically set Acceleration to SSE. This isn't implemented
yet, right?

If one needs to specify the location of FFTW manually it is a little bit
confusing. It would be good if after the error about the missing fftw is
shown, that than one is able to enter that location to FFTW without going to
the advanced settings. Also the description for the
FFTW configuration fields for include/lib (FFTW3_INCLUDE_DIR,
FFTW3_LIBRARIES) says "Path to .." . But it wants the -I/-L with the
argument. Thus the full argument not only the path.

On Cray it is difficult to compile without their mpicc wrapper. And cmake
doesn't detect all the libraries automatically (which I didn't expect). It
would be much easier if it would just use the mpicc wrapper instead trying
to find the libraries. If there is some advantage on other systems to not
use the wrapper than at least it would be helpful if one could select that
one doesn't want any MPI_INCLUDE_PATH oder MPI_LIBRARY. If one sets those to
empty it tries to auto-detect again in the next step and then one gets again
the wrong values.

I can't test the xlc flags because the one machine I have access to with xlc
doesn't have cmake installed.

Roland