[gmx-developers] New mdp parameter

Berk Hess hess at cbr.su.se
Thu Jun 3 14:09:09 CEST 2010

Florian Dommert wrote:
> On 03.06.2010, at 12:20, Berk Hess wrote:
>

>> Florian Dommert wrote:

>>> The code for the error estimate is an enhancement of Carsten's g_tune_pme. We implemented most of the error estimate together and currently I am trying to overcome the last problems which arise from the MPI implementation. However if you use g_tune_pme to tune the accuracy of the electrostatic forces you will have a set of parameters: cutoff in real space, cutoff in reciprocal space, interpolation order and the splitting parameter beta. So after tuning your system you can currently input all parameters in the mdp file apart from beta, which is at the moment calculated from the cutoff in real space and ewald_rtol.
>>>
>>> The idea of Berk to include it into grompp is in my opinion not that useful because the program should be capable of using multiple processor otherwise the calculations can last very very long.
>>>

>> But the computational time is mostly due to processing the initial
>> coordinates for one part
>> of the error estimate, right?
>> WE discussed changing that to assuming a uniform distribution, which
>> would make the estimate
>> coordinate independent as well as more efficient.
>>
>> Furthermore, the current way cut-off's are usually treated in Gromacs,
>> using charge-groups and
>> a neighborlist fixed for 10 steps, requires a very small ewald_rtol,
>> independently of the PME
>> accuracy settings. In the next version (not the version to be released
>> soon) we might change
>> to buffered, exact cut-off's which would allow the use of larger
>> ewald_rtol's set by the PME accuracy.
>>
>> Berk
>>

> Oh it did not know that the neighborlist is fixed for 10 steps, so what can I change with the parameter nstlist and why is it fixed for 10 steps ?

No, it is not fixed, that is the usual setting.
The issue is that charges might only start seeing each other at
distances of one or two angstroms
less than the cut-off. Therefore ewald_rtol has to be smaller than
required for the plain PME accuracy.
> The problem is see here is that a small ewald_rtol can produce very large errors in the reciprocal force calculation.

No, effectively we increase the cut-off only (and have to decrease
ewald_rtol to compensate for that).
That is why currently it does not make much sense to automate the PME
parametrization.

Berk