[gmx-developers] Fwd: renaming Gromacs binaries

chris.neale at utoronto.ca chris.neale at utoronto.ca
Wed Jun 9 22:54:33 CEST 2010

I haven't experienced any naming problems (is there really another
tool called grompp?), but I suppose that if people are, then that is a
strong argument in favour of changing the names.

The converse argument: I compile the gromacs that is used by a number
of people. Since I am aware of this name changing, I will create my
own links so that users can access files as they used to. However, not
all people who compile gromacs read this list and could end up getting
annoyed with the "why did my scripts stop working?" emails that they
are bound to get.

Here's an example of how the non-existence of mdrun could spell
disaster (and did for me recently):

STARTTIME=$(date +%s)
for((;;)); do
   THISTIME=$(date +%s)
   stoprunning=$(echo "(${THISTIME} - ${STARTTIME})/3600 > 40"|bc -l)
   if((stoprunning)); then
     break
   fi
   cp md1.cpt backup_md1.cpt.${RANDOM}

   mdrun -maxh 6 ...
   #analyze the .xtc
   #trjconv -dt 50 the .xtc
   #rm the original .xtc
done

This is taken from a real script of mine that I really used to
accidentally crash a GPFS filesystem a few days ago. The cp md1.cpt
backup_md1.cpt.${RANDOM} line is intended to avoid bugzilla 390.

If the mdrun command doesn't work, then what you get is not nice
checkpointing and analysis on the fly, but instead you copy the .cpt
file to a new name every second or so for 40 hours. Submit a few of
these at once and the load is too much for the filesystem to handle.

So changing scripts should be easy, but the consequences are not
always obvious -- especially when many users use scripts written by
somebody else int heir group.

Note: I got an email failure trying to send this a minute ago, so I
appologize if this is the second such email.

Chris.