[gmx-developers] Fwd: renaming Gromacs binaries

David van der Spoel spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se
Thu Jun 10 06:37:54 CEST 2010

On 2010-06-10 00.10, Nicholas Breen wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 09, 2010 at 05:27:04PM -0400, Justin A. Lemkul wrote:
>> Just my $0.02.  Maybe there really is a problem, but as Chris said, are
>> grompp, mdrun, etc. really getting in the way?
>
>> From a distribution packaging perspective, the only other command that's been a
> problem in Debian was genbox, which conflicted with an unrelated piece of
> raytracing software using the same binary name.

Previously mdrun used to be part of the RAID tools on linux boxes as
well. Both mdrun and genbox fall under the category of programs that are
being used in scripts a lot.

I have now picked the low hanging fruit and renamed some of the less
used tools to g_XXX, and also kicked out some stuff that was obsolete
(average, scrollw). I decided not to touch the configure stuff, too
messy, at least in Peter's proposal.

The following programs were renamed:
luck
wheel
protonate
x2top
showcol
highhway
sigeps
anadock

e.g.
g_highway -f $GMXDATA/gromacs/top/highway.dat

Box 596, 75124 Uppsala, Sweden. Phone:	+46184714205.