[gmx-developers] Re: nstenergy and nstcalcenergy?

Berk Hess hess at cbr.su.se
Fri Jun 11 16:59:46 CEST 2010

Not exactly.

nstcalcenergy controls the calculation frequency of energies, which also
affects the statistics in the "exact" averages and fluctuations in the
energy files.
If this would not be the case we would not need a parameter at all and
we would
just need a conditional with many components in the md loop.

I had thought of adding nstcouple, but that is yet another parameter
which the user
can set and also has to be checked against several other nst...
parameters for reasonable
performance. Currently there would not be an advantage to having the
freedom to
set nstcouple different from nstenergy, except for the NVT ensemble
where you only
need to determine ekin and no other energies or pressures.

On the other hand, having an nstcouple might be easier to understand for
the user,
since then is it much clearer what the function of nstcouple and
nstcalcenergy is.

Berk