[gmx-developers] Heads up! trjconv broken

Anton Feenstra feenstra at few.vu.nl
Wed Jun 16 09:03:36 CEST 2010

On 15/06/10 10:34, Tsjerk Wassenaar wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> Do the trajectory formats allow the storage of rotated boxes? In that case
>> any operation that rotates the coordinates should also rotate the box. (But
>> then the PBC routines should also work with arbitrary rotated boxes!)
>
> Of course. The box is saved as a 3x3 matrix, which allows specifying
> any lattice in 3D. The only thing is that quite a number of routines
> need to be updated. E.g., the main fitting routine (do_fit) needs to
> get the box matrix as argument, and all calls to it need to pass the
> box (or a dummy box).
> But doing so makes the resulting boxes non-compliant with Gromacs
> rules, making calls to PBC routines break. That means that all PBC
> operations need to be modified too. One way would be to pretransform
> box and coordinates back to easy to handle orientation prior to PBC
> operations, and posttransform back to the original orientation.
> Finally, grompp/mdrun should probably be made capable to rotate and
> lattice-reduce a box to have the internal representation during the MD
> run as optimized as possible).

OK, so then rotating the coordinates but not rotating the box
invalidates the PBC. I think it would then make sense to remove the box
from the output after rotation.

--
Groetjes,

Anton
| / \ / \'| | | IBIVU/Bioinformatics - Free University  Amsterdam     |
|(   |   )| | | De Boelelaan 1083A - 1081 HV Amsterdam - Netherlands  |
| \_/ \_/ | | | Tel +31 20 59 87783 - Fax +31 20 59 87653 - Room P136 |
|             | Feenstra at few.vu.nl - www.few.vu.nl/~feenstra/         |
|             | "Pump Up the Volume Along With the Tempo" (Jazzy Jeff)|