[gmx-developers] pdb2gmx default water model

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Jun 16 20:25:26 CEST 2010

Maybe there should be a hybrid approach from everything that's been said.  Since
even the use of SPC/e may be complicated depending on the user's purpose, I
don't think there is any true way to make pdb2gmx incredibly smart.  I would
vote for providing a default water model for each force field (which is already
in place for Encad, anyway), but also always print a big, bold note (much like
what grompp does) at the very end of the pdb2gmx output saying that a choice has
been made and that this may or may not be suitable for the user's purpose.  I
don't see a way to satisfy everyone.  If I choose Gromos96 53A6 for a protein, I
may want SPC/e, but if that protein is in a membrane, I want SPC.  There's no
way for pdb2gmx to outsmart the user, nor should it try :)

GROMACS can only do so much to help the learning curve, but I do agree with
Michael's assessment that one needs to do some homework before plowing ahead
with eyes shut and fingers crossed :)

-Justin

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate