[gmx-developers] pdb2gmx default water model

Berk Hess hess at cbr.su.se
Thu Jun 17 10:01:58 CEST 2010

Hi,

Thanks for the large response on this topic.
I know this is a delicate issue.

I realized my initial proposition of spc/e as a default is not a good idea.
For my own purposes this is usually the best choice, especially because
of the dielectric constant, but for others the trade-offs will be different.

Strictly using the water model used to parametrize the force field is also
not a good idea. CHARMM uses tip3p with LJ on the hydrogen which is
twice as slow in Gromacs, but also has even less structure than the already
very understructured tip3p model.

I am currently leaning towards always presenting the user with a list of
choices,
of which the first model is the one we recommend, with "recommended" on
the line.
I would then recommend spc for Gromos, tip4p for OPLS and standard tip3p
for Charmm and Amber.
That way the user at least realizes that there is a choice to make and
might look
more in the issue or simply pick the recommended model which is (in most
cases)
not a bad choice.

Berk