[gmx-developers] Accidental push of merge, was: git release branch

Roland Schulz roland at utk.edu
Mon Mar 8 07:04:26 CET 2010

Hi,

I'm sorry! I just accidentally pushed from a repository where I had merged
in release-4-0-patches.

I merged with "git merge -s ours release-4-0-patches"

man git-merge: "This resolves any number of heads, but the result of the
merge is always the current branch head. It is meant to be used to supersede
old
           development history of side branches."
Or put another way (stackoverflow): "to pull in another [branch], but throw
away all of the changes that [branch] introduces.
This keeps the history of a branch without any of the effects of the
branch."

Thus I merged in the history of release-4-0-patches without changing any
files in "master".

Thus the good news is that no file was changed by my mistake.
The bad news is that the history was changed. The history of master now also
includes the history of release-4-0-patches. This makes most bug-fixes now
appear twice. Sorry!

I can't undo this because rewriting the history, would produce very weird
merge conflicts if someone had already pulled after I accidentally pushed
this merge.

One potential good effect: If we want we can start using the strategy to
always merge bug fixes from the release branch instead of cherry-picking.
Because now git knows that the master branch includes all bug-fixes up to
this point. And thus will merge only further bug-fixes. I'd suggest this
strategy as explained in the earlier mail. See below for detailed
explanation of this strategy.

Sorry again for the mistake.

Roland