[gmx-developers] XML support in GROMACS

Thomas Steinke steinke at zib.de
Mon Mar 8 20:51:43 CET 2010

David,

thanks for the status update.

We are at a decision point how we should design data repositories which
can manage results of many GROMACS runs for subsequent data mining /
post-processing. This includes import/export interfaces and templates of
typical simulation protocols as well. For an automatic workflow
processing we are in favour of representing the data (structures,
simulation parameter, key properties) in XML but *not* the trajectory
files. Using XML for the FF definitions sounds very promising.

I am aware that the definition of a proper ontology may end in a
"nightmare" if many expert users are involved. On the other hand, XML
extensions based on CML may offer sufficient flexibility for the future.
Thus, my question regarding XML support is also to ask whether a GROMACS
core ontology is already formalized. Even a draft would be helpful.

So far,
Thomas