[gmx-developers] 4-letter residue codes in PDB files

Berk Hess hess at cbr.su.se
Wed Mar 10 10:02:34 CET 2010

Hi,

Gromacs does allow 4 letter residue names in pdb files, but apparently
not everywhere then.

I have fixed this issue for Amber with an automatic residue name to rtp
entry translation file
in git master.
But the question is now if we may want to store the real residue names
in the topology (and thus
for all purposes), instead of the rtp entry name as we do now.
We could then add a comment line in the top file for every residue that
would give its rtp entry.
The disadvantage would be that you can no longer see the protonation
state of a residue
from its residue name.

Berk