[gmx-developers] Cache Locality in gather_f_bsplines()

Berk Hess hess at cbr.su.se
Mon May 3 09:57:59 CEST 2010

Hi,

Carsten told me about your work when I was in Goettingen half a year ago.
But I forgot why this access pattern can improve cache misses.
Currently Gromacs reads and writes from the grid in 3D loops with indices
major, middle, minor. To me this seems as if you would already get
optimal caching.

We reimplemented most of the PME routines in the 2dpme git branch.
Here we have a 20% performance improvement in spreading and gathering,
because we now use a local grid which is not periodically wrapped.
This avoids an extra indexation, but, probably more importantly, avoids
cache missing because some grid points might be far away in memory
over the periodic boundary.

Berk