[gmx-developers] triggering GMX_NB_GENERIC produces wrong interactions

Igor Leontyev ileontyev at ucdavis.edu
Tue May 11 10:44:43 CEST 2010

>> Dear gmx-developers,
>> I would like to test non-standard nonbonded interaction which can not be
>> implemented simply defining tables.
>
>If the interactions are pairwise, being unable to use tables sounds
>wildly unlikely. If you discuss your idea, you may learn about a good
>way to do it :-)
>
>> According to posts on gmx-developers
>> board, the simplest way to do this is to modify "gmx_nb_generic_kernel"
>> subroutine. To make use the routine the environment variable
>> GMX_NB_GENERIC should be set up. The energy comparison obtained with "set
>> GMX_NB_GENERIC=0" and without, however, produces different energies.
>> What can be done?
>
> It's probably immaterial, but setting GMX_NB_GENERIC to 1 is a better
> idea.

I didn't find any description of meaning of specific values of
GMX_NB_GENERIC. But setting GMX_NB_GENERIC to even "3D1" produces the same
result. BTW, may there be any relation between my issue and the problem
reported here some time
ago?
http://oldwww.gromacs.org/pipermail/gmx-developers/2009-July/003505.html

> Look further back in the .log file to see what mdrun is reporting about
> what nonbonded routines it is using.
>
> Life will probably be easier if you do your development and initial
> testing work on a single processor.

Sure, but the behavior of serial versions in this particular test is exactly
the same.

> You shouldn't be using PME, because it requires a particular form for
> the nonbonded interactions...  (unless that's the target of your test)

Thank you for extended comments. Am I correctly understand a hierarchy of
programming efforts? The simplest (but computationally slowest) option
utilizes gmx_nb_generic_kernel subroutine; intermediate option is to modify
and use nb_kernelXXX routines (without assembly loops) and the scary option
is to modify kernel routines written on assembler? What is the approximate
ratio between computation times of these 3 routines?