[gmx-developers] Collective IO

Roland Schulz roland at utk.edu
Fri Oct 1 10:28:28 CEST 2010

On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 3:35 AM, Mark Abraham <mark.abraham at anu.edu.au>wrote:

> [...]
The buffering is done on every node before the data is collected to the IO
nodes. Thus if you e.g. have 1000 nodes each buffering 2MB and you have 20
IO nodes each IO node gets 100MB.
The IO requirement of an IO node is the same as it is currently for the
master. A whole frame has to fit into memory (an IO node never has more than
one frame). This can of course be a problem but it is independent of the
current approach.
As soon as someone writes code which allows to write a single frame in
parallel this can be easily combined with our buffering approach and would
overcome this memory requirement.

Thus our approach doesn't improve the current memory requirement. But it
also doesn't increases the memory per process ( <2MB) significantly.

Currently more than one IO node e (=1 MPI task on one core) can be placed on
one physical node. We will improve this and limit it to one IO node per
physical node (thus only maximum one core participates in the collective
IO). This makes sure that also the total memory per shared memory node
doesn't increase significantly.

> Collective I/O requires of the order of several MB per process per
> operation to be worthwhile.

yes. The IO nodes have that as long as one frame is not too small. For very
small frames/few atoms Collective IO shouldn't be important. But performance
might still improve because the XTC compression is done in parallel and the
write frequency is reduced.

OTOH you don't want to buffer excessively, because that loses more when
> hardware crashes occur. You do have the checkpoint interval as another upper
> bound, so that's probably fine. 250MB concerned me, because the BlueGene
> cpus have up to about 1GB per cpu...
>

> I think a hidden option is probably best.

OK. We do that (unless their'll be other opinions).

Roland